The Kitt Peak Experience… Like no other
Duties: Docents are vital to the success of Kitt Peak’s public outreach efforts. Docents lead public tours of telescopes and interpret the science of astronomy for visitors. They also assist guests in the Visitor Center, helping them interact with the exhibits to insure an engaging and educational visit. Hands-on demonstrations are conducted by the docents to illustrate concepts in astronomy. Other docent duties include hosting school groups at Kitt Peak, making school visits, conducting or assisting with special programs on Kitt Peak and downtown, developing astronomy-related demonstrations, and assisting with exhibit designs.
Benefits: Kitt Peak docents enjoy numerous benefits:
- At your own pace training sessions introduce prospective docents to astronomy and nature in a fun yet informative fashion.
- Monthly meetings downtown that feature speakers from among the scientific staff.
- GSA drivers’ licenses so docents may drive company vehicles to Kitt Peak.
- Free uniforms issued at the successful completion of training, except jackets and vests, which are optional and available at cost.
- Free lunch in the mountain cafeteria while docents are on duty.
- 15% discount on all items in the gift shop except Tohono O’odham crafts.
- Membership in the Kitt Peak Docent Forum, a group site for scheduling shifts and exchanging ideas and other information, including the Docent News, the monthly newsletter of the Kitt Peak Docent Program.
- Free access to the Nightly Observing Program.
Requirements: Prospective docents should be willing to share their knowledge and enthusiasm for Kitt Peak astronomy with members of a diverse public, after successfully completing the sixteen-week training course. Docents also commit to volunteering for eighteen hours per month in three six-hour shifts from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. While docents may schedule their own days on the mountain, they must also be flexible and willing to support outreach efforts as the occasions require. Docents must be current Kitt Peak Members
950 N. Cherry Ave.
Tucson, AZ 85719
Or fax it to 520-318-8469.